Tuesday, December 28, 2010

An update...

It's been awhile since I gave a really detailed update.  Things have been really crazy with the holiday season in full swing, but I'll go back and fill in what we've been up to at Everhaven.

I'll start with my trees.  My last really in depth entry was about my trees being trimmed and how sad I was about it.  Well, always one to look for the silver lining, I've gotten used to the new view and also spent a good deal of time gazing out of the windows to find new vantage points and views to appreciate.  For instance, I hadn't noticed the north view before, but it's great with a row of pine trees popping out above the neighbors house and yard.  I can see it well from one of the recliners in my living room.  We also now have the view out of the sliding door, which faces a row of lilac bushes - can't wait to see that in the spring.  The other day, I came in the front door and immediately saw a few Cardinals perched on the branches out there and grabbed the camera, getting a few shots from the sliding door before they flew off.  I think we'll put some feeders in the bushes to encourage them to come around more often.

The view of the trees to the North is nice :)

A couple of Cardinals pay us a visit.


We have been enjoying having hot, running water immensely.  I never take a bath for granted anymore and my parents gave us a Waterpik shower system for Christmas.  We hooked up the hand held part of it last night and when we install the new tub/shower surround we can hook up the wall unit part of it then.

We've also prepared Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner and had family to eat with us.  That was wonderful and served as a couple of practice runs on how this house will do when it comes to entertaining.  We'll have a few more square feet of living space when the living room wall comes down and we expand into the front porch.  Definitely one of the things I miss about having a larger home is space for guests and fitting people in for gatherings like holidays.  I think Dan's idea of someday building a full basement under the house is growing on me.  Either that or we probably will have to move to a bigger house again, as I can not imagine having more than one teenager in the house as it currently stands and we do hope to have at least one more baby.  Hopefully soon, too!  We're not getting any younger here.


A cramped, but joyful, Christmas.

Along with the holiday meals, we also did some baking and enjoyed a Papa Murphy's take-n-bake pizza, w00t w00t!!! 

Papa Murphy's oh how we've missed you!

Dan and I decided not to get each other anything this year for Christmas.  Money has been tight and we decided the reno is gift enough.  It's coming along and I'd be lying if I said we weren't disappointed that it isn't done yet, but the remainder of the siding order was supposed to be in this afternoon.  The replacement sashes for the windows should be in, too. (Note to self: check on that)  The water is hot and running.  The electric is reliable.  The stove and the oven work again.  We're in the last days of this phase.  Here's how looks today....

Almost done...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment