Saturday, October 9, 2010

It's Amazing What a Little Paint Can Do!

I spent the better part of today painting.  The "Dining Room" is now Arabian Sands/tan and  Red, Red Wine/burgundy.  The awful, busy border is gone (it's still up in the Living Room, but I am not finished yet either!).

***Note:  I refer to the "Dining Room" with quotation marks because it really isn't a dining room, it's more like an area - off the kitchen - that is connected to the Living Room but there used to be a wall between the two (we can see where it was cut out and we have a really cute plan to use it in our decor - stay tuned!)  As we move ahead with our design plans, we plan to use the area for dining and keep living room furniture on it's side of the room.

Anyhow....

The Dining Room is now painted.  I was going to paint the trim an off-white, but now I am wondering about stripping the wood and restoring a more natural wood look. We'll see.  I know it will be alot of work but it will be work anyway, as the former residents here applied a texture to the walls and they sprayed it on everything.  I repeat - everything.  The light switches.  The outlets.  The base boards and trim.  There are little plaster type bumps of texture everywhere.  So even when I paint trim, I have to scrape it off if I want a "normal" finish.  Seriously, how hard would it have been to have taped this stuff before applying it!  I had a heck of a time changing out the light switches, the screws were buried in texture!  I painted an accent wall "Red, Red Wine" which was the color we had in kitchen in Sauk Rapids and I painted the two other walls "Arabian Sands" which was the color I had picked for my living room in Sauk Rapids but I never even got it up.  I could have picked new colors, but I liked these choices and I like bringing in elements to this house that gave me satisfaction in my former home.

In our bedroom, we are finally saying "Good-bye GREEN!!!" and making the switch to blue.  The color is called "Harbor" which goes with the symbolism of Everhaven's name.  I only got started though and before I knew it I was just too tired to go on painting.  Hopefully I can complete the job in our bedroom over the next couple of days and then break out the new sheets and comforter I bought months ago (I wouldn't put them out until the whole room was ready, paint and all!)

I've picked a pale, buttery yellow for the kitchen, but I want some of these other rooms finished before I even buy more paint.  I'm pretty excited about the kitchen because I think that room is going to have the biggest impact from changing the color.  I also plan on painting the cupboards and updating the hardware, since a total remodel is not happening in this phase of remodeling and redecorating.  So the cupboards will be white, the walls yellow, and my punches of colors in accessories will be red and blue.  I can't wait to see it completed!

Here are some pics of what's done so far...
Bye-bye busy border!

The "Dining Room" with it's new colors!

Good-bye GREEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment