Monday, October 25, 2010

When Your Mess Becomes Your Message

This morning while searching out for some inspiration - and I wasn't finding it on cable news (go figure!) - I flipped on Joyce Meyer's program "Enjoying Everyday Life."  I've come to appreciate Joyce's program.  Along with Joel Osteen, I find these programs inspiring and transcendent of the old dogma's that once drove me away from organized religion.  I really believe that people need inspiration, perhaps now more than ever, and so I appreciate it wherever I find it.  While detailing horrific accounts of sexual abuse, the story became testimony when Joyce declared that God had seen her through this troubled upbringing to have a healthy and lasting marriage, a healthy family of her own, and her strengthened faith.  It was very powerful to hear.  There was a phrase that struck me and reminded me of my own struggles in life - "Turn your pain over to God so He can turn it into gain.  Let Him turn your mess into your message."

*NOTE: While recalling that just now, I'm not sure if she said "your message" or "His message" but I'm going with taking ownership of one's circumstances.

I really liked that "turn your mess into a message!"  I sure know a thing or two about messes.  Our first attempt at home ownership ended up a mess.  Our finances and credit have been a mess.  I see messes all over in the world.  Having ADD, I often feel completely surrounded by the mess in my mind, the mess of clutter that I tend to let pile up in my surroundings.  The one constant that I can rely on to "clean" those messes is when I surrender to the loving presence of God, as I understand God.  The inspiration I then feel to straighten up and take action to tidy up my life is quite an amazing feeling.  The result of which is wanting to share that experience with others = share the message.  Even trying to figure out how best to share a message is somewhat messy.  Since last February, I've been the "point person" for the Coffee Party Movement in Minnesota.  I've struggled for months trying to determine if I'm in the right place and still haven't gotten a clear answer.  I am responsible for bringing the Coffee Party Movement to MN and feel a sense of pride for having done so, but it's been a constant struggle for me.  On Saturday, I will be speaking at the Rally to Restore Sanity in St. Paul as the head of the Coffee Party of MN.  I'm still not sure what I want to say, but I know I want to use my time to tell everyone that as messy as things appear to be, there is always hope.  It gets better.  With or without a movement, that is my message for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment