Thursday, May 27, 2010

Shopped 'Til We Dropped!

Well we've spent the last 2 nights shopping.  Last night we went north to shop, tonight we went south.  Last night's haul included several vegetables for our garden, which we plan to plant this weekend, a bird bath for the landscaping project, and a new ceiling fan for our bedroom.  I spent a good amount of time also looking at bed linens and paint colors for our bedroom.  I settled on brown and aqua/light teal, but didn't buy anything last night because I wasn't quite satisfied with the selections at last night's store.  I have been wanting the colors we - wait, who am I kidding?  Men really don't pick the colors LOL so scratch that - we I finally settled on for months.  Especially after one of the necklaces from Premier Designs spring line came out.

Los Colinas!  An instant favorite of mine and the inspiration for our bedroom color palette :)
(While taking that picture, I think I also discovered that these necklaces might make perfect tie-backs for my window treatments, too!) 

So having settled on the color scheme, we (Dan did help on this one!) picked out a ceiling fan with a nickel finish.  I can't wait to get it put up because our house is so hot in the summer and I prefer ceiling fans to other types of fans blowing concentrated cold air on me - especially when I'm in bed trying to sleep!  The other night, Dan had our current fan (one on a stand) on high and I crawled into bed and had to pull the blanket up over my face because I couldn't stand that harsh breeze on my face.  So yes, the ceiling fan will be a very welcome feature!  It also has 4 lights to add quite a bit more light to our currently quite dark space.  We'll have to add a medallion between the ceiling and the new fan, as we can already see a gap between the current fixture and the textured ceiling.  Just need to have a more finished look all the way around.

Tonight's haul included a new sheet set, I used one of the pillow cases as the back drop for the picture above.  It's 500 thread count Sateen finish (LOVE me some Sateen sheets!!)  that I found on sale.  (Also love me some sales!!!)  I spent the better part of today scouring the internet for a great comforter set.  Here's the thing about our bedding needs and why it always takes me so long, several months sometimes, to find the right comforter - I am always attracted to the very fine and luxurious linens.  Every. Single. Time.  However, I have a small child and 5 animals in my house.  The linens I long for are just not a sensible choice for me.  So I usually have to decide on a compromised look and the perfectionist in me just has to get it right.  Anytime we've ever gotten a new comforter, it's usually taken me months - if not a year or more in fact - to finally make a choice.  This time it went quite a bit faster.  I finally found one on the internet that was also available in a local store.  So we went to check it out and we ended up buying something else.  We decided on a chocolate brown micro-suede (machine washable was a must) and Dan helped.  It's quite plain for my taste BUT I figured I would dress it up with some of my luxurious throw pillows and the other accessories in the room.  I trust I will get the total look I am after.  In a parallel universe I think I must be an interior decorator!

We also bought Dan a new grill, grill cover, a medallion for the ceiling fan, as well as some spray paint to paint the medallion, although I started having second thoughts on the color I picked so I guess I'll sleep on it.  We also looked at sliding doors and more paint options.  After 2 nights of spending hours shopping, I think I actually need a break from shopping (hold on while I check myself for a fever ;)

Up next for the long weekend:
  • Till the space for the garden
  • Plant the vegetable garden
  • Install a new storm door and maybe a dog door
  • Demo the closet where my office needs to go
  • Take out some small trees and shrubs
  • Install our new ceiling fan
  • Use new grill and enjoy the progress!




No comments:

Post a Comment