Friday, May 28, 2010

Uh Houston, I Think We Have A Problem...

During one of our strategizing sessions outside last week to plan the garden, decide which trees and shrubs should be removed, while examing the sidewalk we plan to remove that runs along side of the house I took a closer look...
and noticed this -

Yeah, that's an electical wire. To the garage.  Laying bare along the edge of the sidewalk.  Perhaps once it was buried, but it's clearly not anymore.  (And I just realized I could have titled this post "Where the Sidewalk Ends: Bzzzzzzz!" ;)

When we moved in and had an electrician do a walk through, we knew that a "do it yourself-er" had lived here before, the evidence is everywhere.  The wiring in the garage is a mess, so we had him cut power to it until we can get to doing something with it.  We don't use the garage for much anyway, the roof leaks and the whole thing really just needs to come down, so it doesn't need power right now.  No big deal right?  Well, while doing some electrical tinkering this last winter trying to fix the "our stove controls the bedroom light" situation (that's a story for another day!), Dan thought he discovered that it wasn't the power to the garage that had been cut after all but something else.  Well, getting an electrician in is one of the next things we've got on the agenda so I guess we'll find out.  In the meantime I just keep hearing the Green Acres theme song in my head whenever I think of the electricity situation of this house! ;) 

UPDATE 10/24/10:  When I had the electrician out to give us a quote on our electrical work, he was surprised to see this wire in the ground, but fortunately it isn't live.  We'll remove it when we're tearing out the sidewalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment