Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Update - w/pics!

Ok, so much has happened in the last few days I don't even know where to start.  Hmmmm, let's see....
Well, first of all I am back online via computer.  Jason (our realtor/contractor/computer parts man ;) hooked us up with an old CRT monitor.  That's the old kind that takes up a ton of desk space for those that don't speak techie.  Please see attached pic of said monitor - taken just before I typed this very sentence!
Look!  It's my blog!  On a CRT!

So yeah, Jason brought us a couple of monitors to try out and see if they worked.  What a great guy!  It was later Saturday evening before I got home to find them waiting in our porch.  I was eager to see if they worked and disappointed when I found that neither had a power cord attached.  So on Sunday, while Dan, Pat, and Christian all worked on digging up our yard, I took Maddie to run errands.  We went to Office Depot and had them look at our old flat screen.  They determined it was just fried and I paid $5 to have it recycled.  I looked at the new monitors, which were all very lovely, but I was fretting over spending $100 or more that I really didn't have in my budget.  Dan's called me the "Money Houdini" for years because I am so skilled at moving money around and squeezing out every last penny to make our budget work.  But, not this time.  Not in the middle of a renovation.  So, I'm standing there looking at these monitors I can't afford this week and suddenly I remember - power cord!  At a very affordable $15 I left with a new power cord and hope that this was all I needed to get back to using my computer.  It worked!

Also, last week my van was acting up.  Friday evening after Maddie and I picked up Dan from parking his semi, we were having dinner and when we left the restaurant we got in the van and again - nothing.  Dan went to take a look and found a loose connection to my battery.  He tightened it up and viola! it fired right up and haven't had any problem since.  Thank God that's all it was.  If I couldn't afford $100 for a monitor, I defintely would not be able to afford engine repairs.

Over the weekend, Dan's little brother, Christian, came up to help us.  Saturday was spent running to the home improvement store to get supplies and talk to them about our window problem.  Saturday night we tore out the closet in the front porch to make room for my new office.  Sunday bright and early the guys began digging on both the north and south sides of the house for water line repairs (south) and new electric (north).  I have a ton of pics from all the things that have gone on in the last week.  It's been a week since I had a way to get online with the computer.

Oh, and during the demo of the closet, I dropped my digital camera and messed up the memory card - which has the most pics on it - but I had a spare memory card so I am able to continue taking pictures.  Although, I find it a tad ironic that I nearly demo-ed my camera while demo-ing.  Glad it was just a close call and I hope to take my memory card to a computer geek to try and salvage the pics on it (I Googled it and supposedly it is very possible to do)

So here they are.  Pics from the last week...
Christian and Pat tearing out the closet.

Me.  Happily making room for my new office!

Maddie, on a day off from school, watching Jason talk on his ce --- I mean, install a living room window.


The former closet.  I think I might keep the clapboard siding as the wall in my office.

Digger Dan!
 
The north side of the yard all dug up and ready to be filled back in.
After repairing the water line on Sunday, a connection came loose and the well house began to fill with water.

Do old windows go to heaven?

No comments:

Post a Comment